A word from the horse's mouth
In addition to this blog, I write about poverty (and the Christian faith, so fair warning) on JohnWritesStuff.wordpress.com. I re-posted my article about panhandling myths on that blog and received this comment on the post from an aquaintance I met at the Detroit Rescue Mission homeless shelter:
"I know firsthand that Detroit's homeless, at least, are mostly in a vampiric state of consciousness that makes long-term success impossible. This is not a mere mental illness. But it is also true that the only honest work available for the homeless -- flyer distribution - barely pays $6 an hour, and that intermittently. Almost, but not quite enough to rent a room for the week. So if cash money can neither be earned nor given, what hope is there?"
Click here to continue reading.
Labels: 211onthego, Employee Voices, John_Azoni
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home